Welcome to the Pediatric Residency Program at the UArizona in Tucson!
We are an academic residency program with high standards for education, clinical practice, and research.
Here are some program highlights:
- Residents are involved in scholarly activity, research and QI opportunities, often culminating in invited presentations at national conferences. Our residents have the opportunity to collaborate and partner with physician-scientists at the Steele Children’s Research Center, one of the UACOM Centers of Excellence.
- Residents are paired with a faculty advisor who provides mentorship, guidance, feedback, and friendship. Department faculty members are very approachable and always available for consultation, discussion and support, or just a quick chat.
- The UArizona Pediatric Residency considers trainee wellness a priority and supports resident wellness by coordinating annual resident class retreats, resident night out, and social program-sponsored social events. We also have a wellness curriculum that is integrated into our academic half day. The UArizona COM offers free mental health services to all its trainees.
- The UArizona Pediatric Residency creates an atmosphere of inclusive excellence by fostering collaboration not just within the program and department, but the local community at large. Our residents complete rotations in the community and throughout rural AZ at Community Health Centers and with various tribal health services. Southern Arizona provides a unique setting heavily influenced by its proximity to the border, as well as a large pediatric population of immigrants and refugees.
- Residents have the opportunity to do national and international away rotations. There is program funding to support these efforts.
- The program has an excellent track record of successfully preparing trainees for fellowship positions with many of our residents securing competitive subspecialty training slots post residency.
- Tucson is a wonderful place to train - with many nearby recreation opportunities including hiking, biking, rock climbing and golfing, as well as an abundance of cultural activities including restaurants, music and arts venues.
Our program is a family, and our residents are at the heart of everything we do- with the common goals of educating the next generation of pediatric leaders, taking outstanding care of children, and striving for continued innovation and advancement of pediatric medicine. There is always something new to learn, and doing so in such a rich environment is an incredible joy.
We invite you to consider our program. Please contact any of us with your questions or if you want further information.
Rachel E M Cramton, MD
Program Director, Pediatric Residency Program
Associate Program Director, Pediatric Residency Program